Skip to main content

Muddy Angel run and gladiators!

Saturday the 10th of June
Aline got home pretty late last night and isn't working today, because she is partaking in a "Muddy Angels run" in Lyon! This is a 5km run with a few obstacles to overcome that she is doing with her rugby team. It's a women only mud run and all of the proceeds go to the movement against breast cancer. It is an amazing event, and there were so many strong, powerful and motivated women there, and I just felt so empowered by being there, surrounded by them - even though I didn't run.

When we got to Lyon, I met all of her old rugby-mates (she doesn't play anymore) and their children and husbands. Laurent is actually the coach of the women's rugby team in Vienne and trains them every Friday and Monday! Rugby isn't that popular in the USA or in Austria, so I didn't really know what is was before Laurent showed me a match on TV and wow - rugby is a brutal sport! He described it as football without protection. Needless to say, this team of women was pretty strong.

Once we were at the venue, they all got signed up and got their headbands and proceeded to take pictures and drink beer. At like 11 in the morning. 40 minutes before a 5k run. Oh, Europe.

Norah and I watched the group that left at 11:10 (groups of around 200 left every 30 minutes from
9:10am to 5:10pm) participate in the warm up session with 2 trainers. I loved the music that was playing - lots of Girls Just Want to Have Fun and Run The World (Girls), which was just pumping me up and made me wish that I had signed up for the run. There were also some pretty amazing costumes and t-shirts, including Wonder Woman outfits and Supergirl shirts! They got a pep talk by the organisers of the event and then were sent off in the 90 degree weather for the run.

The group that Aline was in came next, at 11:40, and it was basically the exact same warm up and pep talk, but the trainers had so much energy and were super into the workout, that it really motivated everyone to keep up. Then came the pep talk and rules and they were off - the most exciting part for them and the most boring part for us. I didn't bring my book, so I was not properly prepared for the hour and a half the followed. We found a shaded slope looking over the last obstacle and I honestly might have fallen asleep for a little. I was also starving, but we obviously had to wait for them to finish. They came by the last obstacle at 1:15 or so, and we all went down to cheer them on and watch them run through the finish line together.

The participants got these aloe vera strawberry drinks, but Aline brought back 4 bottles - one for each of us :D Laurent and the other husbands decided that beer was what Aline and the other runners wanted to drink instead and proceeded to wait in the longest and slowest line ever. And it turned out that no one wanted beer, except for them. Go figure.

FOOD! We walked back to the cars and set up a huge picnic with everyone - there were at least 12 coolers filled with food and drinks. I was not complaining. We ate, talked, and laughed for 3 hours - I had a great time. There was the notorious chat about my semester abroad and I answered the same 10 questions. I didn't mind though, because... food.

Sunday the 11th of June
Oh my god it was so hot today. My day started after lunch, when Laurent, Aline, Norah and I went to the "Journées Gallo-Romains" at the Roman museum here in Vienne. It's basically a weekend of reenactments from Roman times, which included gladiator fights. It would have probably been a lot more captivating if it hadn't been in the middle of a field with no shade or wind at all. The fights were interesting to watch though, especially because the crowd got to decide the fate of the loser, by either screaming "mitte" which would spare him, or "iugula" which would kill him. I screamed the latter every time, because I wanted to see how they would kill the gladiator. Turns out they just "stabbed" him and he fell to the ground.


We walked around a little more after the gladiator fight and visited tents from different areas in France that showed us different jobs back then.

Rémi, Norah, Aline and I decided to go to a lake after that to cool down. Rémi started throwing Norah and I around in the water, which was really fun, but after a while I decided to get out and read my book. Turns out you can't read a book with Aline next to you when she has nothing to do. She just talks and talks - doesn't need any feedback at all.
After the lake, we ordered pizza and drove to pick it up when we left the lake.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Hi! My name is Amelia - I am from Southern California, but I have been living in Austria for 6 years, so I speak English and German fluently. I am going to school in Vienne, France for 6 months while living with a host family. I have been learning French at school for 4 years so I hope that my French is good enough, but I guess we'll find out once I start living there! I flew from Vienna, Austria to Lyon, France (which is about 30 min away fromVienne) onFriday the 13th of January.
As I mentioned before I will be living with a host family. They have 3 children, two sons (one of which doesn't live at home anymore) and a daughter. They also have a small dog named Loupy and a cat named Vermicelle, which is great because I love animals! I am in 10th grade and will be attending the "deuxième classe" in Vienne at a Lycée. 

Last day of school

Thursday the 8th of June
*sigh* Today was a sad day. It was the last time that I would see most of my classmates which is unfortunate, as I was growing to like more and more of them. We had 2 hours of school this morning which I found to be utterly unnecessary and in my mind was not a sufficient reason to get out of bed, but I somehow found myself watching a movie at 8 in French class. Not that the movie was bad or anything, on the contrary actually, but I would have much rather been sleeping. I know, I know... #relatableteen

Anyway, since we got out at 10 and had a little good-bye party with the class at 1:45, Paul, Asuka and I went back to my house for 3 hours. I didn't really have anything planned, and no one was home, so we just ate ice cream, gave each other back rubs, and listened to music, which sounds really weird, but Paul and I both have back problems and boy did he know how to give a mean massage. He knew like where all the trigger points were and it was extremely relax…

1 negative and 3 positives

Let me set the scene: a bored Amelia in DS, a sheet of unused paper, a pen, and 3 hours of nothing to do...

If you don't know, Ds is "devoir surveillé" or "surveilled work". My class has it every Monday, usually for 3 hours. It's in a different subject every week. So what happens it, we get questions to answer and then we answer them. Seems simple right? RIGHT. That is why I don't understand why we are locked in a room for 3 hours when most of us are done after the first hour or so. And we don't get to leave early, no, we have to stay in here for the rest of the lesson with nothing to do! We cannot talk, we cannot read, we cannot do homework. I mean, I would much rather do homework or study than be locked in a room for 3 hours! It doesn't make any sense!

Like today for example, our DS was in history and he gave us 2 things to do. Part 1: define some vocab; Part 2: Write a text about the World Wars and he gave us one line to go off of! Like, how …