Skip to main content

Mother's day!

I didn't have school this whole week (except 'till 11 on Monday), because the 11th graders were taking the "bac blanc" (like a practice bac) Monday afternoon and all day Tuesday (the bac is the French equivalent of the Matura - the Matura is the Austrian equivalent of the A-levels - the A-levels are the British exams that you take to graduate high school - there isn't really an equivalent in the US). And since I'm not taking the bac, I didn't go to school! I don't have school on Wednesday anyway, and Thursday was a Catholic holiday and our school took Friday off too!

Sunday the 28th of May
Aline got home late last night, as she works on Saturday, and drove from Saint-Martin-de-Crau up to Vienne for the weekend. We got up at 8 (early for me, since I had been sleeping in the whole week) to go to a lake for the day! It was a 1:30h drive, which I didn't mind at all, because the route was beautiful - I was stuck in the back with Norah and Rémi though, and they are a very typical older brother and younger sister combo, meaning that Rémi likes to tease Norah and vice versa, but Rémi always comes out on top. Rémi keeps it under control and knows when to stop - its very entertaining to watch them "fighting", especially because Rémi is hilarious and Norah can't stay mad at him.

When we arrived at the lake and got out of the car, it felt like the sun had fallen out of the sky. It was like 30 degrees (85 F) and it only got hotter as the day went on, so Aline gave me this amazing visor that I sported the whole day - I looked amazing. My hair looks fantastic with the visor on. We did go on a hike through the forest, which was in the shade, so it wasn't too bad there. The hike was really fun! I took a lot of pictures, and we finally got a picture with everyone in front of a beautiful view. The trick to a good group picture it to ask the right person to take the picture - try to target someone holding a newer smartphone, a teen/millennial or a tech-y looking person. People to avoid are older people, or people who ask which button to press on the phone/camera.

     
We walked over a 180 meter (600 foot) suspension bridge with the most gorgeous view over the lac Monteynard. There were actually 2 suspension bridges, but the second one was a 8 miles away, and we were hungry, so we decided to just turn around after we crossed the Passerelle d'Ebron (the first bridge). When we returned to the lake, we found a nice, shaded spot under a tree to eat a very typical French lunch - baguettes with jambon and fromage, cantaloupe and yoghurts.
     
I started to feel kind of sick a little after lunch - my eyes started swelling up (or it at least felt like it) and I started sneezing a bunch. There was a lot of pollen around, but I have never had a pollen allergy, so I was a little surprised. It was a little weird to be blowing my nose while everyone else was enjoying the sun and water. We decided to move a little closer to the lake, so that Laurent, Rémi and Norah could go "swimming". Aline and I sat next to the lake, took pictures, and skipped stones - I have never been that great at skipping stones, but one of the positive things about having a younger sister (at least at our respective ages), is that I am better at a lot of things, so I get to show off my skills and teach her how to so stuff, even if my skills aren't very impressive in comparison to other peoples.
     
It was super hot, and there wasn't any shade right by the lake, so I just used a towel as sun protection. I don't have any sunscreen, except for a little "kids' sunscreen stick" which I applied to my shoulder and face - I don't want to get sunburned! We left shortly thereafter, and I got to sit in the front, because no one wants to be squished in the back seat with a sneezing passenger.

We had a great Mother's Day dinner with chocolate covered strawberries that I made for dessert. I had an excellent day with everyone, and felt like I really bonded with Rémi - I don't usually talk to him that much, but he has been a lot happier and just in a better mood since he has a girlfriend now. lol.

I can't end my post on "lol", so I guess I'll tell you about something that I have been loving lately - theSkimm. Its an email subscription that summarises important global (and national) news in like a 5 minute email every morning. I don't like having to go through so many unnecessary articles to find the important stuff, and this makes it a billion times easier to sound smart in conversations about current topics. Also, it was started by 2 women which is really cool. This really sounds like an ad, but I just really like theSkimm and just wanted to make being updated on current topics easier: just click here to get signed up! Also, Philip DeFranco (on YouTube) is a great source for news. I read theSkimm and watch the Philip DeFranco show everyday - very trustworthy sources. Ok.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Hi! My name is Amelia - I am from Southern California, but I have been living in Austria for 6 years, so I speak English and German fluently. I am going to school in Vienne, France for 6 months while living with a host family. I have been learning French at school for 4 years so I hope that my French is good enough, but I guess we'll find out once I start living there! I flew from Vienna, Austria to Lyon, France (which is about 30 min away fromVienne) onFriday the 13th of January.
As I mentioned before I will be living with a host family. They have 3 children, two sons (one of which doesn't live at home anymore) and a daughter. They also have a small dog named Loupy and a cat named Vermicelle, which is great because I love animals! I am in 10th grade and will be attending the "deuxième classe" in Vienne at a Lycée. 

Last day of school

Thursday the 8th of June
*sigh* Today was a sad day. It was the last time that I would see most of my classmates which is unfortunate, as I was growing to like more and more of them. We had 2 hours of school this morning which I found to be utterly unnecessary and in my mind was not a sufficient reason to get out of bed, but I somehow found myself watching a movie at 8 in French class. Not that the movie was bad or anything, on the contrary actually, but I would have much rather been sleeping. I know, I know... #relatableteen

Anyway, since we got out at 10 and had a little good-bye party with the class at 1:45, Paul, Asuka and I went back to my house for 3 hours. I didn't really have anything planned, and no one was home, so we just ate ice cream, gave each other back rubs, and listened to music, which sounds really weird, but Paul and I both have back problems and boy did he know how to give a mean massage. He knew like where all the trigger points were and it was extremely relax…

1 negative and 3 positives

Let me set the scene: a bored Amelia in DS, a sheet of unused paper, a pen, and 3 hours of nothing to do...

If you don't know, Ds is "devoir surveillé" or "surveilled work". My class has it every Monday, usually for 3 hours. It's in a different subject every week. So what happens it, we get questions to answer and then we answer them. Seems simple right? RIGHT. That is why I don't understand why we are locked in a room for 3 hours when most of us are done after the first hour or so. And we don't get to leave early, no, we have to stay in here for the rest of the lesson with nothing to do! We cannot talk, we cannot read, we cannot do homework. I mean, I would much rather do homework or study than be locked in a room for 3 hours! It doesn't make any sense!

Like today for example, our DS was in history and he gave us 2 things to do. Part 1: define some vocab; Part 2: Write a text about the World Wars and he gave us one line to go off of! Like, how …