Skip to main content

Fête des moutons!

Friday the 12th of May
Friday fun day! I got out of school at 11 today – I would have usually gotten out at 2:40, but since Norah and I were taking the train to go to Saint-Martin-de-Crau at around 3, Laurent said that I should eat with them at the house so I would have some time to get ready. After eating, I packed my backpack for the weekend trip and laid in my bed with Vermicelle for a bit, before driving to the train station with Norah and Laurent.

There are 2 ways to get to the train station from our house – one of them is a little shorter, so we usually take that route, but since there is a lot of construction work going on in Vienne right now, it takes forever to get to the city center. We started out on that road, but soon realized that it would take forever to get there, so we turned around and took the second road.

When we were halfway there, we were blocked by the fire department, as they were putting out a fire in an apartment building. We waited a little to see if they would move, but after 5 minutes it became clear that they were not going anywhere, so we turned around again and took the same route as before and we arrived about 20 minutes later then we would have if we had just stayed there – but it was thundering and lightning-ing, which I love, so I didn’t really care.










Saturday the 13th of May
So the whole reason that we were in Saint-Martin for the weekend is because it is the “fête des moutons” (sheep festival), where the town celebrates the sheep going up to the mountains for the summer to graze. There were quite a lot of festivities planned for the weekend, and we all wanted to see the traditional clothes and music of the town, so we tried to attend as many events as possible.

The first event of the day was at 11 in front of the city hall. Here, we saw some international groups (1 group was from Austria!) preform traditional dances and songs.

   


After this, Norah and I went to the store to buy some ingredients for the cookies that I would be making after lunch – Caramel Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies! They turned out really well! I love the combination of sweet and salty, so these were a huge hit for me – will definitely have to make these again when I’m back in Austria. After the cookies, Norah and I spent some time outside playing with the dogs and taking pictures.


     
Then at 4:30, we walked back to the city hall (it’s like a 5 minute walk from where her Grandma lives) and saw some more dances (this time from different regions in France) and songs.


   
   
This finished with a big parade through the town with all of the groups that we had seen that day. It was supposed to end with all of the sheep (I believe around 2000), but they didn’t arrive until Norah and I had already left ;( We met up with Aline after she had finished working and drove into the city center to find a place to eat dinner. I had a great day with all of the festivities and felt like I got closer to Norah, more in like an older sister way, which, let me tell you, is exhausting. Shout out to all the older sisters and brothers out there 😂!

Sunday the 14th of May
The first activity of the day was at 10:30 – the second parade! (Basically the exact same one as yesterday) This time, we went with Aline and we saw the sheeps! (I know that sheep is plural, but sheeps sounds cuter) All 2000 of them! I was very excited to see them all, but it went by very quickly. After the parade, there were a bunch of pigeons that were released into the sky, which was fun to watch, but a little frightening, because they flew very close to the ground.


   
   
 
We also saw a bunch of people from Saint-Martin acting as if it were 100 years ago or something – they were doing the daily jobs from that time.
   
   
 
This afternoon, we went to the arena to watch a sheep dog presentation - they showed us 4 sheep dogs of different ages (all border collies), and put 5 sheep into the arena with each dog.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Hi! My name is Amelia - I am from Southern California, but I have been living in Austria for 6 years, so I speak English and German fluently. I am going to school in Vienne, France for 6 months while living with a host family. I have been learning French at school for 4 years so I hope that my French is good enough, but I guess we'll find out once I start living there! I flew from Vienna, Austria to Lyon, France (which is about 30 min away fromVienne) onFriday the 13th of January.
As I mentioned before I will be living with a host family. They have 3 children, two sons (one of which doesn't live at home anymore) and a daughter. They also have a small dog named Loupy and a cat named Vermicelle, which is great because I love animals! I am in 10th grade and will be attending the "deuxième classe" in Vienne at a Lycée. 

Last day of school

Thursday the 8th of June
*sigh* Today was a sad day. It was the last time that I would see most of my classmates which is unfortunate, as I was growing to like more and more of them. We had 2 hours of school this morning which I found to be utterly unnecessary and in my mind was not a sufficient reason to get out of bed, but I somehow found myself watching a movie at 8 in French class. Not that the movie was bad or anything, on the contrary actually, but I would have much rather been sleeping. I know, I know... #relatableteen

Anyway, since we got out at 10 and had a little good-bye party with the class at 1:45, Paul, Asuka and I went back to my house for 3 hours. I didn't really have anything planned, and no one was home, so we just ate ice cream, gave each other back rubs, and listened to music, which sounds really weird, but Paul and I both have back problems and boy did he know how to give a mean massage. He knew like where all the trigger points were and it was extremely relax…

1 negative and 3 positives

Let me set the scene: a bored Amelia in DS, a sheet of unused paper, a pen, and 3 hours of nothing to do...

If you don't know, Ds is "devoir surveillé" or "surveilled work". My class has it every Monday, usually for 3 hours. It's in a different subject every week. So what happens it, we get questions to answer and then we answer them. Seems simple right? RIGHT. That is why I don't understand why we are locked in a room for 3 hours when most of us are done after the first hour or so. And we don't get to leave early, no, we have to stay in here for the rest of the lesson with nothing to do! We cannot talk, we cannot read, we cannot do homework. I mean, I would much rather do homework or study than be locked in a room for 3 hours! It doesn't make any sense!

Like today for example, our DS was in history and he gave us 2 things to do. Part 1: define some vocab; Part 2: Write a text about the World Wars and he gave us one line to go off of! Like, how …