Skip to main content

Biggest mistakes I have made as an exchange student

1. I focused too much on my life in Austria
When I first got here, I didn't want to leave anything behind or miss out on anything happening in Villach. I was thinking too much in the future, about when I would get back and how different everything would be, instead of building a "new life" here. This made the first month (or so) super difficult and contributed to the bad integration at my first lycée. Comparing the people I met to the people I already knew in Austria wasn't fair to them and I didn't really give them a chance. I just wanted a copy of everyone, which was pretty close-minded and would not lead to unique experiences.

2. I don't go up and talk to people
Ok. I can't talk to people! It's hard to go up to strangers and talk to them! I have read countless articles on how to be self confident and just talk to people and I have tried, but its so hard! I have definitely noticed the repercussions that this has on my life, most of them are negative. It's so weird when you notice all of the social cues and know what you should do, but are too afraid of rejection or an awkward silence. I think that this has definitely changed since I have been here though. I can now come up with interesting questions to ask people, and I can hold a conversation, even if it's boring to me. I think that this also has to do with my level of French, which had definitely improved - I feel much more comfortable speaking in French now.

3. Not doing very many extra curricular activities
This one has more to do with the amount of friends/acquaintances I make, and ties in with #2. I am very happy with the friends that I have made at school here - some of the weirdest and best people I know, and having a few close friends is the best, but having a lot of peripheral friends can be great too, if you just want to check in from time to time. If I had done more activities or gone to more events, I might have made more friends, which might have allowed me to learn more vocab. I don't know - this one might just be me worried that I haven't spoken enough French here and stayed in too much.

Anyway, I hope that if you are an exchange student reading this, that you learn from my mistakes and try focus on your life with your host family, talk to more people, and always say "yes" to invites!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Hi! My name is Amelia - I am from Southern California, but I have been living in Austria for 6 years, so I speak English and German fluently. I am going to school in Vienne, France for 6 months while living with a host family. I have been learning French at school for 4 years so I hope that my French is good enough, but I guess we'll find out once I start living there! I flew from Vienna, Austria to Lyon, France (which is about 30 min away fromVienne) onFriday the 13th of January.
As I mentioned before I will be living with a host family. They have 3 children, two sons (one of which doesn't live at home anymore) and a daughter. They also have a small dog named Loupy and a cat named Vermicelle, which is great because I love animals! I am in 10th grade and will be attending the "deuxième classe" in Vienne at a Lycée. 

Last day of school

Thursday the 8th of June
*sigh* Today was a sad day. It was the last time that I would see most of my classmates which is unfortunate, as I was growing to like more and more of them. We had 2 hours of school this morning which I found to be utterly unnecessary and in my mind was not a sufficient reason to get out of bed, but I somehow found myself watching a movie at 8 in French class. Not that the movie was bad or anything, on the contrary actually, but I would have much rather been sleeping. I know, I know... #relatableteen

Anyway, since we got out at 10 and had a little good-bye party with the class at 1:45, Paul, Asuka and I went back to my house for 3 hours. I didn't really have anything planned, and no one was home, so we just ate ice cream, gave each other back rubs, and listened to music, which sounds really weird, but Paul and I both have back problems and boy did he know how to give a mean massage. He knew like where all the trigger points were and it was extremely relax…

1 negative and 3 positives

Let me set the scene: a bored Amelia in DS, a sheet of unused paper, a pen, and 3 hours of nothing to do...

If you don't know, Ds is "devoir surveillé" or "surveilled work". My class has it every Monday, usually for 3 hours. It's in a different subject every week. So what happens it, we get questions to answer and then we answer them. Seems simple right? RIGHT. That is why I don't understand why we are locked in a room for 3 hours when most of us are done after the first hour or so. And we don't get to leave early, no, we have to stay in here for the rest of the lesson with nothing to do! We cannot talk, we cannot read, we cannot do homework. I mean, I would much rather do homework or study than be locked in a room for 3 hours! It doesn't make any sense!

Like today for example, our DS was in history and he gave us 2 things to do. Part 1: define some vocab; Part 2: Write a text about the World Wars and he gave us one line to go off of! Like, how …