Skip to main content

Baking and ducks

Second week of break (24th -29th of April)
I love baking. I baked everyday last week, except for Friday (I did make chocolate covered strawberries which one could count as baking, but not really). I love improving my baking skills and trying new things, like different decoration styles or modifying recipes, even if is just a minor change that no one notices. I love showing off my baked goods and sharing them on Instagram and Facebook, not because I need the validation of strangers, but because I'm proud of the picture I took and how I framed and edited it.

Finding new, creative ways to shoot your baked goods is exciting! I usually take about 50-60 pictures of the same shot with a little difference in angle or with the plate turned the other way. The other day, when looking for a spot to take a picture of a piece of cake, I walked around the neighborhood in socks and when I finally found the best background, 2 Frenchmen came out of nowhere and scolded the youth of today for being obsessed with documenting everything or something like that. Honestly, it was pretty hilarious and I just continued taking my pictures, but I understood what they meant. I mean, a shoeless teen (wearing mismatched socks), standing in front of someone's shrubbery, holding a phone in one hand and a piece of cake in the other, at like 7pm. Who wouldn't have thought that this was strange? I didn't even end up using that background in the final picture.

I don't know what the point of this was. On to the next story!

My new favorite animal: Ducks
So I was walking the dogs (Loupy and Pepito) the other day, and we happened to come across a small lake. It was quite cute and extremely beautiful. It was surrounded my luscious trees and a fence, for some reason. It looked like a nice place to walk dogs, so we started walking around the lake. We paraded down the first side of the lake trouble-free. We greeted a few people who were fishing and driving electric boats across the lake - the dogs were fascinated by this, so I was forced to wait for a few minutes while they watched - Pepito is stronger than one would think.



On the way back, we encountered the first flock of ducks. They were sitting in the middle of the path right next to the lake - there were maybe 5 of them just sitting there with their necks nuzzled into the side of their bodies. I don't know what you would call that body part. Anyway, I didn't want to disturb them, because I assumed they were sleeping. I crossed over to the other side of the path and of course they noticed that we were there and they all stood up and started quacking (cutest noise btw) and ran under the fence to the lake. I felt really bad.





We continued to stroll along the path and maybe 2 minutes later we came across another flock! I still felt bad that we had disturbed the first flock, so I just turned around so as to not upset them - I had seen a side exit between the two groups anyway. Then a swan appeared out of nowhere. I am extremely scared of swans. They are so big and imposing! You never know what their next move is. It was still in the water, but it was puffing itself up, because of the dogs I presume, so I started sprinting away from it - I'm happy that I'm still alive. Those things are terrifying.

We came across 3 more groups of ducks that evening, because we "decided" to take the long way home (I got lost), which was along a small stream. I took the dogs to the same little lake 2 more times while I was there and there were so many ducks there each time! I know now that they were't just sleeping - it's breeding season!

Also, I ran into a goat in a small town and took a selfie with her! She was "baaaaa"ing and it was really cute.


 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Hi! My name is Amelia - I am from Southern California, but I have been living in Austria for 6 years, so I speak English and German fluently. I am going to school in Vienne, France for 6 months while living with a host family. I have been learning French at school for 4 years so I hope that my French is good enough, but I guess we'll find out once I start living there! I flew from Vienna, Austria to Lyon, France (which is about 30 min away fromVienne) onFriday the 13th of January.
As I mentioned before I will be living with a host family. They have 3 children, two sons (one of which doesn't live at home anymore) and a daughter. They also have a small dog named Loupy and a cat named Vermicelle, which is great because I love animals! I am in 10th grade and will be attending the "deuxième classe" in Vienne at a Lycée. 

Last day of school

Thursday the 8th of June
*sigh* Today was a sad day. It was the last time that I would see most of my classmates which is unfortunate, as I was growing to like more and more of them. We had 2 hours of school this morning which I found to be utterly unnecessary and in my mind was not a sufficient reason to get out of bed, but I somehow found myself watching a movie at 8 in French class. Not that the movie was bad or anything, on the contrary actually, but I would have much rather been sleeping. I know, I know... #relatableteen

Anyway, since we got out at 10 and had a little good-bye party with the class at 1:45, Paul, Asuka and I went back to my house for 3 hours. I didn't really have anything planned, and no one was home, so we just ate ice cream, gave each other back rubs, and listened to music, which sounds really weird, but Paul and I both have back problems and boy did he know how to give a mean massage. He knew like where all the trigger points were and it was extremely relax…

1 negative and 3 positives

Let me set the scene: a bored Amelia in DS, a sheet of unused paper, a pen, and 3 hours of nothing to do...

If you don't know, Ds is "devoir surveillé" or "surveilled work". My class has it every Monday, usually for 3 hours. It's in a different subject every week. So what happens it, we get questions to answer and then we answer them. Seems simple right? RIGHT. That is why I don't understand why we are locked in a room for 3 hours when most of us are done after the first hour or so. And we don't get to leave early, no, we have to stay in here for the rest of the lesson with nothing to do! We cannot talk, we cannot read, we cannot do homework. I mean, I would much rather do homework or study than be locked in a room for 3 hours! It doesn't make any sense!

Like today for example, our DS was in history and he gave us 2 things to do. Part 1: define some vocab; Part 2: Write a text about the World Wars and he gave us one line to go off of! Like, how …