Skip to main content

First week back at school!

Monday the 6th of March
I had a great day at school today! I arrived 30 minutes too late, because there is construction going on in Vienne, so all of the buses before 9:00 leave 10 minutes earlier which I was not aware of, so I had to take the next bus, which was late. We had 3 hours in the morning, so we got out at 11, but we had DS in the afternoon, so we had to wait at school until 1:45 for that. DS was in physics this week, which I had always been absent for, so I had no idea what was going on and I definetly believe that I failed the test.

Anyway, during the 4 hour break I really improved my relationships with Paul and Asuka - they are super nice and we seem to have a great connection. I love talking to them - their lives are very interesting; Asuka's host family lives on a farm and has a goat! I need to visit her house and meet her family!

Tuesday the 7th of March
I'm not a fan of having to wake up 10 minutes earlier (because of the bus thing) so I asked my host dad if they had a bike that I could use - he said that he will get it out for me this week, but until then I have to wake up earlier than I want to. School was pretty uneventful today - the German teacher wasn't here so I had a free lesson before lunch and since Dārta moved, I am the only person in my class taking German, which meant that I was alone (I just did sudoku for an hour...). We got out an hour earlier than usual so I went home before bassoon and took the bus to the conservatoire. I met a nice lady at the bus stop who started talking to me about my "art case", so I had to explain what a bassoon was for the bajillionth time.

Orchestra practice with the kids went well, and so did my private lesson. I am playing a duet with the 1 other bassoon student next week at a presentation thing about the bassoon for little kids trying to choose which instrument to start playing, which should be fun! I am also going to be in the youth orchestra in Vienne and we start practicing next week for a performance in April which I am also very excited about.

Wednesday the 8th of March
I feel so blessed to not have school on Wednesday. It's like a mini weekend; I get up later and have the whole day to do whatever I want. I try to go swimming twice a week, and Wednesday's and Saturdays seem to have been working out pretty well, so I went swimming! I really pushed myself today, fueled by anger, which seemes bad, but it actually works.
There was a man who got in the pool maybe 5 minutes after me and started doing aerobic exercises in the lane that I was in. I had to swim around him which was making me super angry, especially because there was enough space in the rest of the pool for him, but I wasn't going to change lanes because I got there first. So I just used that energy and pushed myself to swim more and faster than before. And when I got out of the pool, I felt great and also very tired.

When I got home, my host dad showed me the bike that I could use, which is my host sisters bike that she never uses. It's a little small, but I tried it out and I mean it's a bike, so it will get me from point A to point B.

Thursday the 9th of March
I didn't bike to school, because the tires are a little low and I couldn't find the pump, so I had to wake up early to catch the bus.
Either nothing happened important happened on Thursday, I forgot all of the amazing things that happened, or it was such a bad day that I blocked it out. Either way, I have nothing to report.

Friday the 10th of March
I rode the bike to school today! The route is fairly simple, there are hills at the beginning and end of the ride, so I always have a climb to look forward to at the end of the ride. The hill is so steep near the end coming home, that I had to walk it - I literally would not have made it. School was pretty uneventful like usual. I did go on a walk with Alex during the break which was nice.

Saturday the 11th of March
I am trying to eat healthier, cut out refined sugar from my diet and do more sports, so I went to the market today and got some apples (after all, an apple a day keeps the doctor away), broccoli, kiwis and lettuce! The market really is the best place to get fresh produce. There is a system though - you have to walk around the whole market once to see what you can find and check the best price - I got all of that for about 5euros!

I came home and we ate lunch together, then my host dad went to work and I played the bassoon. I went swimming at 3 which was great! I have goals now, so I feel more motivated to go swimming. After that, I went to the library to check out a book for French class, but they didn't have it so I'll have to buy it :/

Anyway, I had a pretty great week and I am feeling better than ever here - school was been going well and the social aspect is always improving! It is getting easier to practice the bassoon when people are at home and I am making strides to improve my health! I feel like I am just now becoming more of my own parent - the first 2 months seemed like a vacation, but I am now
realizing that I can't just eat ice cream and cookies, or stare at my computer screen for hours on end. I guess this means that I won't have to go through all of that in college!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Hi! My name is Amelia - I am from Southern California, but I have been living in Austria for 6 years, so I speak English and German fluently. I am going to school in Vienne, France for 6 months while living with a host family. I have been learning French at school for 4 years so I hope that my French is good enough, but I guess we'll find out once I start living there! I flew from Vienna, Austria to Lyon, France (which is about 30 min away fromVienne) onFriday the 13th of January.
As I mentioned before I will be living with a host family. They have 3 children, two sons (one of which doesn't live at home anymore) and a daughter. They also have a small dog named Loupy and a cat named Vermicelle, which is great because I love animals! I am in 10th grade and will be attending the "deuxième classe" in Vienne at a Lycée. 

Last day of school

Thursday the 8th of June
*sigh* Today was a sad day. It was the last time that I would see most of my classmates which is unfortunate, as I was growing to like more and more of them. We had 2 hours of school this morning which I found to be utterly unnecessary and in my mind was not a sufficient reason to get out of bed, but I somehow found myself watching a movie at 8 in French class. Not that the movie was bad or anything, on the contrary actually, but I would have much rather been sleeping. I know, I know... #relatableteen

Anyway, since we got out at 10 and had a little good-bye party with the class at 1:45, Paul, Asuka and I went back to my house for 3 hours. I didn't really have anything planned, and no one was home, so we just ate ice cream, gave each other back rubs, and listened to music, which sounds really weird, but Paul and I both have back problems and boy did he know how to give a mean massage. He knew like where all the trigger points were and it was extremely relax…

1 negative and 3 positives

Let me set the scene: a bored Amelia in DS, a sheet of unused paper, a pen, and 3 hours of nothing to do...

If you don't know, Ds is "devoir surveillé" or "surveilled work". My class has it every Monday, usually for 3 hours. It's in a different subject every week. So what happens it, we get questions to answer and then we answer them. Seems simple right? RIGHT. That is why I don't understand why we are locked in a room for 3 hours when most of us are done after the first hour or so. And we don't get to leave early, no, we have to stay in here for the rest of the lesson with nothing to do! We cannot talk, we cannot read, we cannot do homework. I mean, I would much rather do homework or study than be locked in a room for 3 hours! It doesn't make any sense!

Like today for example, our DS was in history and he gave us 2 things to do. Part 1: define some vocab; Part 2: Write a text about the World Wars and he gave us one line to go off of! Like, how …