Skip to main content

Day trip to Nîmes!

Wednesday the 22nd of February
I woke up pretty late today, because the train to Nîmes left at 12:30. I left the house at 11:45 though, because the train station was a good 30 minute walk away and I didn't want to miss my train - not the best walk, but I did find a line of maybe 100 millipedes (?) across the sidewalk. I got my ticket which was super overpriced and waited for the train. Nîmes wasn't actually super high on the list of towns to visit, but there are some Roman monuments that I thought that I should see.

I arrived at 1 and went straight to the Arena of Nîmes which is the best preserved Roman amphitheater. I got an audioguide and was there for a good hour! I learned many interesting tidbits, for example during gladiator fights, the loser did not always have to die, but usually stopped fighting due to fatigue or injuries - then the arena master decided if he had fought a worthy fight and was either killed by his opponent or left the arena alive.


   
   

After the Arena, I walked to the Tour Magne which used to be a watch tower. There was a very windy  (not windy, "why-ndy") and narrow staircase leading up to the top, but it was worth it for the amazing view!












I stopped and took a short break at the beautiful park nearby and planned out where I should eat - I decided on gourmet crêpes, but the restaurant was closed when I got there. I walked around aimlessly for like 10 minutes hoping to find a cheap good restaurant or something like that, but I was unsuccessful. I finally resorted to buying a sandwich and very crispy apple at the carrefour. But, I wanted to get something else too, I mean you can't not go to a French town and want to get something at a boulangerie, so I got a "palmier" which was delicious.

Then, there was only one more place that I had to visit and that was the Maison Carrée. I probably should have asked someone to take my picture there, but there were so many American tourists there I decided against it (I asked someone at every other place, so it's fine). It wasn't the most interesting things ever so I was fine with taking a picture and going to my train.
















The train was 40 minutes late. That's how long it should have taken to get back to Saint-Martin-de-Crau! I was pretty tired by the time I arrived at the train station here, and I still had a 30 minute walk ahead of me - short story even shorter I got lost and the walk took about 50 minutes. "Amelia, why didn't you use Google Maps?" Thanks for that genius idea - I don't know my host grandma's address! I did see a cat in a field and the same millipedes as in the morning, so it was a successful walk. My host sister and host mom ate at her brothers house, so it was just my host grandma and I for dinner.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Hi! My name is Amelia - I am from Southern California, but I have been living in Austria for 6 years, so I speak English and German fluently. I am going to school in Vienne, France for 6 months while living with a host family. I have been learning French at school for 4 years so I hope that my French is good enough, but I guess we'll find out once I start living there! I flew from Vienna, Austria to Lyon, France (which is about 30 min away fromVienne) onFriday the 13th of January.
As I mentioned before I will be living with a host family. They have 3 children, two sons (one of which doesn't live at home anymore) and a daughter. They also have a small dog named Loupy and a cat named Vermicelle, which is great because I love animals! I am in 10th grade and will be attending the "deuxième classe" in Vienne at a Lycée. 

Last day of school

Thursday the 8th of June
*sigh* Today was a sad day. It was the last time that I would see most of my classmates which is unfortunate, as I was growing to like more and more of them. We had 2 hours of school this morning which I found to be utterly unnecessary and in my mind was not a sufficient reason to get out of bed, but I somehow found myself watching a movie at 8 in French class. Not that the movie was bad or anything, on the contrary actually, but I would have much rather been sleeping. I know, I know... #relatableteen

Anyway, since we got out at 10 and had a little good-bye party with the class at 1:45, Paul, Asuka and I went back to my house for 3 hours. I didn't really have anything planned, and no one was home, so we just ate ice cream, gave each other back rubs, and listened to music, which sounds really weird, but Paul and I both have back problems and boy did he know how to give a mean massage. He knew like where all the trigger points were and it was extremely relax…

1 negative and 3 positives

Let me set the scene: a bored Amelia in DS, a sheet of unused paper, a pen, and 3 hours of nothing to do...

If you don't know, Ds is "devoir surveillé" or "surveilled work". My class has it every Monday, usually for 3 hours. It's in a different subject every week. So what happens it, we get questions to answer and then we answer them. Seems simple right? RIGHT. That is why I don't understand why we are locked in a room for 3 hours when most of us are done after the first hour or so. And we don't get to leave early, no, we have to stay in here for the rest of the lesson with nothing to do! We cannot talk, we cannot read, we cannot do homework. I mean, I would much rather do homework or study than be locked in a room for 3 hours! It doesn't make any sense!

Like today for example, our DS was in history and he gave us 2 things to do. Part 1: define some vocab; Part 2: Write a text about the World Wars and he gave us one line to go off of! Like, how …