Skip to main content

Thursday the 19th and Friday the 20th of January

Thursday the 19th
Even though I am writing this on Friday, I cannot remember a lot of what happened yesterday, which either means that it is not worth telling, or should not be told. lol.

Friday the 20th
Finally! I have caught up! The day that I am writing this is actually the 20th. Sooo... today was pretty eventful. I woke up at like 8 and packed for later, because we drove to my host grandmas house. More on that later. My host mom and I took the bus into Vienne to check out a private school, because I am not feeling that great about the public school that I am attending. We got the email and phone number of the principal and I believe that my host mom made an appointment for next week to meet with her and see if I can change schools or try the school out for a day to see if I like it.

Then we took the bus back and I wrote the second day of school in my room. Everyone came home at 12 and we ate lunch together. We left at about 1 and we drove for about an 1 1/2 hour, when we arrived in Avignon. Avignon is a well known city, because popes lived there from 1309 and 1377. We visited the "Palais des Papes" where the popes lived which had a beautiful view over the town and the Rhône river with the Pont d'Avignon.

The Palais des Papes


The square below the Palais des Papes


View of the Rhône from the Palais des Papes






The Pont d'Avignon




















Afterward, we walked around Avignon a little and got pain au chocolat and I felt very French. Then we left Avignon and made our way to their grandma's house which is close to Arles. On the way there we stopped in a small village called St. Rémy - it was very cute and exactly what you would expect from a provençal village. A lot of shops were selling lavender and these Calissons, which are little candies which consist of a fruit paste and royal icing on the top. They looked really good, but all of the shops were closed and they were pretty expensive.

We finally arrived at their grandmas house at 6 or so and I met her and all of her animals! She has a Jack Russell Terrier, a hamster, two fish and a canary. Her dog is very cute and Loupy gets along very well with her. She finished making dinner with my host mom and we ate together - it was a great meal! I am pretty tired, so I'm going to go to bed now! (I published this on Saturday, because I had to add the pics)
 

Pain au chocolat!


Loupy playing fetch near some Roman ruins


instagram: @amelia_navarre

facebook: Navarream


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Hi! My name is Amelia - I am from Southern California, but I have been living in Austria for 6 years, so I speak English and German fluently. I am going to school in Vienne, France for 6 months while living with a host family. I have been learning French at school for 4 years so I hope that my French is good enough, but I guess we'll find out once I start living there! I flew from Vienna, Austria to Lyon, France (which is about 30 min away fromVienne) onFriday the 13th of January.
As I mentioned before I will be living with a host family. They have 3 children, two sons (one of which doesn't live at home anymore) and a daughter. They also have a small dog named Loupy and a cat named Vermicelle, which is great because I love animals! I am in 10th grade and will be attending the "deuxième classe" in Vienne at a Lycée. 

Last day of school

Thursday the 8th of June
*sigh* Today was a sad day. It was the last time that I would see most of my classmates which is unfortunate, as I was growing to like more and more of them. We had 2 hours of school this morning which I found to be utterly unnecessary and in my mind was not a sufficient reason to get out of bed, but I somehow found myself watching a movie at 8 in French class. Not that the movie was bad or anything, on the contrary actually, but I would have much rather been sleeping. I know, I know... #relatableteen

Anyway, since we got out at 10 and had a little good-bye party with the class at 1:45, Paul, Asuka and I went back to my house for 3 hours. I didn't really have anything planned, and no one was home, so we just ate ice cream, gave each other back rubs, and listened to music, which sounds really weird, but Paul and I both have back problems and boy did he know how to give a mean massage. He knew like where all the trigger points were and it was extremely relax…

1 negative and 3 positives

Let me set the scene: a bored Amelia in DS, a sheet of unused paper, a pen, and 3 hours of nothing to do...

If you don't know, Ds is "devoir surveillé" or "surveilled work". My class has it every Monday, usually for 3 hours. It's in a different subject every week. So what happens it, we get questions to answer and then we answer them. Seems simple right? RIGHT. That is why I don't understand why we are locked in a room for 3 hours when most of us are done after the first hour or so. And we don't get to leave early, no, we have to stay in here for the rest of the lesson with nothing to do! We cannot talk, we cannot read, we cannot do homework. I mean, I would much rather do homework or study than be locked in a room for 3 hours! It doesn't make any sense!

Like today for example, our DS was in history and he gave us 2 things to do. Part 1: define some vocab; Part 2: Write a text about the World Wars and he gave us one line to go off of! Like, how …